top of page
Cozy Bedroom

Why do I need to know the details of the Tenancy Agreement?

The Tenancy Agreement is a legally binding document. If the terms of the agreement are not kept, it could result in action being taken by the Association which could lead to your tenancy being terminated

How is my Rent calculated?

Rents are calculated according to the local County Council’s Differential Rent Scheme. This means that the amount of rent you pay depends on the amount of your total household income.

What happens if I get into arrears?

It is imperative that you pay your rent when it falls due. If your rent account goes into arrears you are in breach of your tenancy agreement. You should contact your Housing Officer as soon as possible, they will provide advice and will endeavour to enter into an arrears agreement with you.

How can I check my rent account?

The association will send you out a rent statement detailing charges due and any money received.  You can contact the office and request a statement at any time.

Will I be taken to Court for rent arrears?

Yes, if you refuse to come to a reasonable agreement or if you do not keep to the agreed repayment plan, Steer Housing Association will serve a Notice to Quit and seek repossession of our property.

What if my circumstances change?

You need to keep the Association informed of any change in household circumstances. Your rent will then be re-assessed.

Eg.  Your income changes because of loss/gain of employment

A person with an income joins the household

A person in the household starts claiming social welfare

There is a death in the household

There is a birth in the household

A person in your household leaves the property.

Can i make alterations to my house?

You must get permission from Steer before beginning any alterations or improvements to your home.  When you leave you will not be able to recover the cost of any improvements.  It is a requirement that you employ competent and registered service providers to carry out any works.

Can I buy my house?

No, the current Government policy is that all housing association tenants cannot buy their property, the property is for rental only.

Can I keep a pet?

Tenants living in apartment blocks are not permitted to keep pets.  Tenants in houses may keep domestic pets as long as they are adequately supervised, do not create a nuisance and adhere to our pet policy.

How do I make a complaint?

Steer Housing Association are committed to providing a good quality service to our tenants If for any reason you are unhappy with our service, please make a complaint either over the phone, face to face or in writing by email or letter. We will try to address and resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Can I get a transfer to another property?

It may be possible to apply for a transfer to another Steer Housing property.  You must be living at your current address for at least one year and must have kept to the terms of your tenancy agreement. e.g. you must have no rent arrears on your account or be in breach of any anti social activities. You must have a valid reason e.g because of health reasons or because you need to relocate for a job.  The length of time it takes for a transfer will depend on whether any suitable properties become vacant in the area you wish to move to. The transfer will also need to be approved by the relevant local authority.

How do I end my tenancy?

You must inform the Association in writing and give at least 4 week’s notice before the date you wish your tenancy to end. You must leave a forwarding address and ensure the property is left in a clean and tidy condition. All keys must be returned to the office.

bottom of page