top of page
Electrical safety

Trip switches and fuses

Trip switches and fuses are essential safety devices that cut off the flow of electricity in your home if a fault occurs.

Bathroom safety

Water and electricity don’t mix, so follow these special wiring rules and requirements for better bathroom safety.

  •  In a bathroom, en-suite or any wet area, never use a plug-in appliance.  Specially designed electric shaver outlets is the only exception to this rule

Kitchen safety

The combination of electricity, water and hot surfaces can make your kitchen a dangerous place.

  • Have a fire blanket and fire extinguisher easily accessible in the kitchen.

  • Unplug your electric kettle before filling it, and always replace a leaking kettle immediately.

  • Unplug electric appliances before cleaning them.

  • Have faulty appliances repaired by a professional.

  • When you are buying kitchen appliances (or any electrical appliances), make sure that they carry the CE approval mark, which implies that they meet European safety requirements.

  • Don’t use cracked, loose or damaged sockets or switches.

  • Don’t leave flexes trailing across the cooker, hob or sink.

  • Don’t handle plugs or switches with wet hands, and never let plugs get wet.

  • Don’t try to release jammed toast from a toaster while it is still plugged in.

  • Don’t use appliances with worn or damaged flexes – replace the appliance, or have it repaired by a professional.

The rest of your home

With computers, game consoles, TVs, DVD players and more, modern living rooms have more socket outlets than ever before.

  • You should consider fitting surge protection equipment to sensitive electrical appliances to prevent damage in the event of an electrical surge.

  • Never extend a cord or a lead with taped joints or homemade socket assemblies.

  • You should never nail or staple cords or leads to walls, as this can damage the cord, resulting in electric shock.

  • Do not place cords under rugs or carpets, as this can cause overheating.

  • Never try to repair faulty appliances.

  • Never try to force a 2-pin plug into a 3-pin socket – this can be extremely dangerous. Replace the 2-pin plug with a suitable 3-pin plug top.

bottom of page